Recipe: BLT salad with prawns & avocado
I like to think of this salad as a deconstructed BLT sandwich where bread has been replaced with more nutritious and tastier prawns and avocado. It’s my regular go-to lunch or a dinner on those nights when I don’t feel like spending too much time in the kitchen. Super easy and delicious.
Cook’s notes: I often use pre-cooked, frozen prawns for this recipe. I place frozen prawns in a bowl of hot water and let them thaw out for about 5-10 minutes. Alternatively, you can pick some cooked prawns from your deli or fishmonger or cook raw prawns. You can grill some chicken or steak if avoiding shellfish.
- Small dollop of coconut oil
- 3 rashes of streaky bacon (2 of them diced)
- 1 small garlic clove, diced
- 10 cooked prawns
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 5 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 red capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 1-2 tbsp diced green onion/scallions
- 1/2 acovado, sliced
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp lime juice (lemon is also fine)
- 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- Pinch of black pepper
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat up a small dollop of coconut oil in a skillet and pan fry bacon until crispy. Remove to a bowl and reserve the fat drippings.
- In the same pan, pan fry already cooked prawns with diced garlic for about a minute – just to warm them up.
- Mix the salad dressing and combine with the salad ingredients and bacon.Top with sliced avocado and warm prawns.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 7-10 minutes
Number of servings: 1